Skip to main content
We're here with practical tax information for your business. Find out about business taxes, tax planning and more.


We've scoured the web to get you the most up-to-date advice which includes the most useful tools on offer from the officials themselves.

Effective tax planning is essential if you are to minimise your tax bills. Simple tax planning can significantly reduce your tax liabilities.

The self-assessment tax return is an unavoidable burden if you are liable for self-employed tax or have complicated income tax affairs.

Corporation tax is charged on a company's profits. If you trade as a limited company, ensure that paying this tax is as painless as possible.

National Insurance Contributions (NICs) are payable whether you are self-employed or employed by your own company, although different rates apply.

As well as your legal obligations, you’ll want to ensure that payroll is painless and that you use any opportunities to improve your tax-efficiency.


Effective VAT planning aims to ensure that VAT is relatively painless, and that you are reclaiming as much as possible of the VAT you pay.

Capital gains are made when you sell something for more money than you paid for it. As a result, you can be subject to tax. Take professional advice.

Business property taxes apply to businesses with commercial premises.There are two commercial property taxes: business rates and stamp duty land tax.

If you have tax problems or face a tax investigation, it pays to seek professional advice and you must act rather than just hoping for the best.

National Insurance Contributions (NICs) are payable whether you are self-employed or employed by your own company, although different rates apply.

Resource topics

9 results shown
If you are a sole trader or in a partnership, you are liable for flat rate Class 2 and profit-related Class 4 National Insurance (NI) contributions.
Understanding employee National Insurance and how to minimise Class 1 NI contributions for both employers and employees
National Insurance, PAYE and payroll: Employers must pay employer National Insurance contributions on employee earnings and they must collect employee Class 1 NICs.
Tax advice for UK employers: how to claim Employment Allowance and reduce the amount of employer’s Class 1 NICs you pay.
Sole traders must register with HMRC when they start trading and set up a personal tax account.
Paying National Insurance contributions entitles you to certain state benefits such as a state pension. Check if you have enough years to qualify.
You should receive a National Insurance number when you reach 16. If you have lost or did not receive yours find out how you can track it down.
National Insurance overview for employers to help minimise National Insurance Contributions (NICs) and understand National Insurance rates and allowances.
Guidance for business owners on how to pay yourself a salary and take dividends from your limited company while minimising tax.